When I hear the word communication, no one true definition pops up in my head, but I can easily associate it with many things. I can associate it with a public speech, a “stop” sign along a sidewalk, or even by a person’s facial expressions. In my own words, communication, be it, thorough a computer, a cellphone, or a face-to-face conversation, involves two different parties, wherein one or both parties deliver a message to the other.
Quite honestly, I do not know what I can be come after I graduate with a degree in communication, which is why the introduction to communication in class somehow served as a career talk for me. Having a degree in communications can lead me to a career in business, something everyone will probably pass at least once in their life. I believe that in order to be a good businessman, I must first be capable of communicating with people in the right manner. Dealing business matters with a friend or a family member is totally different from dealing with a businessman of another culture. There are certain things I must take into consideration before dealing with a person with a different race as to avoid any problem. Speaking in front of a whole company will call for a different way of addressing the audience since everyone must feel that they are part of what is being discussed. It would be very difficult to pursue a career in business and be successful if you do not know how to socialize with the different kinds of people there are in this diverse world. Thus, communication truly plays a big role in the business world. It is something that is necessary in order to be able to do business with different people around the world.
Another career choice related to communication that interests me is government and politics. I am probably still a far cry from being a famous icon who people would vote for come election time, but being a politician has been my dream since I was a young boy. I have heard some politicians who deliver their speeches so passionately that they inspire me to imitate how they speak in front of an audience. Just recently, I was able to watch Cory Aquino’s speech in front of the U.S. congress regarding her cry for freedom and democracy. This is definitely one of the most moving speeches I have ever heard in my life. It brought chills to my spine as I was listening to every word she uttered and every sentence she constructed with those words so passionately. After watching and listening to her speech, I told myself that if I wanted to become a politician, I would have to learn how to speak in such a way that I would be able to move people, to inspire people, and to influence people with the way I talk. I never knew I would end up shifting to communication technology, and now that I am here, I want to take advantage of my chance to learn anything I can in order to become a good politician. Our lesson about communication can aid me in the future in holding public speeches. I learned in class that communication has different contexts and the different contexts can be of big help to me in the future. One of which is communicating to a group; this is very important of I am to become a politician because this will teach me how to communicate with a large group of people. I have to be used to speaking in front of people I do not know at all and not just to people whom I know. Speaking in front of the class is way different from speaking in front of a barangay with people of different wants and needs. I will have to learn how to choose my words and actions wisely before speaking in front of them. I am very far from achieving my dream of becoming a politician, but I will have to take it step by step and this is the start of it.
Communication played a big role in my life during high school most especially when we would have a soccer game. As the captain of the team, it was my role to lead the team, and in doing so, I had to deal with different players with different attitudes. Now that I have come to know about the different aspects of communication, I understand how the environment can affect the way people communicate with each other. I always wondered how I could shout at my teammates during the game and act as if nothing happened after. I would be bossy towards all my teammates, but after the game, I’m still everyone’s friend. This is because different factors in the environment affect how we communicate with each other. Probably because of the pressure during the game, I would be forced to shout at them, but after the game when there is no more pressure at all, I would simply talk to them as if the game never happened. They were probably also so caught up in the game’s action that the message delivered to them by me shouting was just part of the passion of the game and like me, they also wanted to win. Different environments in life call for different means of communication which we all have to adjust to.
If you think about it, ANY profession requires an ability to communicate. That's how integral the concept is to human life. What I think everyone should understand, however, is that communication isn't always effective. Just because it's an innate human ability doesn't mean people do it right all the time. That's where the training comes in. And I hope this class teaches you a thing or two about being an effective and a results-oriented communicator.
ReplyDeleteGood first entry, Iñigo. :)
I really think that the career paths that you've chosen so far need to have the proper communication skills in order to be successful. As sir Beaver mentioned, I think that this communication class will really be a good guide for you to enhance your skills and get an edge as compared to other people. Always keep in mind that communication is an essential part of your future career but it is not the only thing that you need!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! :)
You are right about how communication, ubiquitous as it is, can improve an audience's perception towards a speaker. Different settings- as you said- call for varying means of relating to others: it is useful to know one's surroundings before attempting to bring forth a message. This sensitivity will be particularly useful as you plan to enter a field of work that responds to others' needs. Great realizations, Inigo. :D
ReplyDelete-Kara Chung